With the increase in the use of eyes, there are more and more people suffering from eye diseases, learning a certain knowledge of eye drops become necessary. The following points must be kept in mind!
I. Uses and precautions of 8 commonly used eye drops
Although many eye diseases have symptoms of redness and pain, their pathogenesis is not the same. Eye drops are also divided into many categories, so eye drops must be prescribed.
Before dropping eye drops, first seek medical advice from a doctor, check the drug name and expiration date of the drug used, if there is turbidity or floc in the bottle, or if there is any change in color, etc., before continuing to use it. Here are 8 uses and precautions for commonly used eye drops.
1. Antibiotic eye drops.
Such as chloramphenicol, rifampicin, norfloxacin, chloramphenicol, erythromycin and other eye drops or eye ointment. It is mainly applied to the inflammation of eyelids, lacrimal ducts, conjunctiva, and cornea, and the prevention and treatment of postoperative infections. It is the largest part of the eye drops. Abusing this eye drops can destroy the ecology of the eye’s flora. Moreover, there is no eye drop that can fight all infections, so anti-inflammatory eye drops must be used according to doctor’s advice.
2. Anti-virus class.
Such as ribavirin, hydroxybenzyl oxazole, cyclocytidine and other eye drops, apply to herpes simplex keratitis or epidemic hemorrhagic keratitis and other diseases.
3. Anti-glaucoma type.
Such as pilocarpine, timolol, betaxolol and other eye drops or eye ointment, these drugs should be selected by the doctor based on the type of patient’s glaucoma and intraocular pressure control, must follow the doctor’s advice.
4. Dilated pupils.
Such as atropine, homatropine, compound tropicamide and other eye drops or eye ointment. Mainly used for optometry, fundus and other dilated examination, can also be used for severe keratitis, iridocyclitis and before and after surgery.
5. Cataract prevention class.
The pirenoxin sodium eye drops are mainly used for elderly people or those with early cataracts, and normal people do not play a role. Other eye drops such as Falcolin, Pynoxine, and pearl eyesight. At present, the efficacy of these drugs has not yet been affirmed, or it may delay the development of cataracts.
Such as cortisone, dexamethasone, tobramycin, dexamethasone and other eye drops, mainly applies to allergic inflammation, endogenous non-infectious inflammation and trauma, post-operative reactive inflammation, can also be used after myopia surgery .
Drop this drug must be careful, if it is four times a day, one drop at a time, more than four weeks will induce glaucoma, so you can not just random point. Because there are hormones inside, hormone glaucoma will be induced after use and the intraocular pressure will be high. At this time, drugs must be reduced, stopped, or changed. Sometimes it is found that the damage of visual function caused by lateness is often irreversible, and it is difficult to cure in the late stage. If the eye has inflammation, antibiotics must be used at the same time.
7. Non-corticosteroid anti-inflammatory drugs.
Such as flurbiprofen sodium, diclofenac and other eye drops, and corticosteroid hormones similar role, mainly for non-infectious inflammation.
8. Other types.
Zinc sulfate, artificial tears, cromolyn sodium and other eye drops are mainly used to reduce visual fatigue, wet eyeballs, anti-allergy and so on.
II. Little knowledge in the use of eye drops
1. Don’t forget to wash your hands before eye drops so as not to cause infection through hand contact. If you have finished eye drops (creams), your fingers may be spotting syrup or tears. It’s best to wash your hands again.
2. When taking eye drops, pay attention to posture. Head as far as possible, or lie down. Use the index finger to pull the lower eyelid down from the eyeball.
3. Align the mouth of the eye drops with your eyes and place them in the conjunctiva. One to two drops of ophthalmic drops are okay. The eye ointment is squeezed out by about one centimeter long because the volume of the surface of the eyeball is very limited, and the rate of tears drained from the nasolachrymal duct is very fast, so it increases in this limited volume and time. Eye contact with the eyeball surface and time, attention, eye medicine bottle mouth can not come in contact with the eyes or eyelashes to prevent the bottle from being contaminated, and immediately after the eye drops covered cap.
4. Close your eyes for at least five minutes. Do not open your eyes. Use your fingers to gently press the eye’s nasolacrimal duct for at least two minutes to slow the drainage of the liquid.
5. Before opening your eyes, use a paper towel or a handkerchief to wipe away any unappealing eye drops or tears that have flowed around your eyes.
6. If you need two or three eye drops, the interval takes five to ten minutes before the second eye drops. If you need to make eye drops and eye ointment at the same time, you should first stop eye drops for five minutes before applying eye ointment.
7. Unopened eye drops are generally valid for 1 to 3 years and are detailed in the drug insert. If the expiration date expires, it will be invalid regardless of whether it was opened or not. After the bottle cap is opened, the effective period of eye drops is generally 1 month. Why is most of the eye drops missing this period? That’s because this “time” is closely related to the season, the environment of the place where it is placed, and the patient’s habits (such as whether it is in contact with the eyes when dropping medicines), and this time cannot be accurately determined.
8. The eye drops should be placed in a cool, dry and ventilated place. They can be stored in the refrigerator (4°C). If the temperature is too high, it can easily deteriorate.
9. Before use, see if the eye drops are clear and transparent, with or without discoloration, or mold colonies. Note that it is used within the prescribed time.
10. Tighten the cap after each use to reduce the chance of contamination and spillage.
III. 3 Points to Be Noticed to Patients
1. Before using the medicine, be sure to read the medicine instructions, understand the name of the medicine, determine the use of normal eye drops, understand the ingredients, usage, dosage, precautions, effective time limit, side effects, contraindications, etc. If you have any questions, you must not use it. , to be used after consultation with a doctor.
2. If you have had a history of drug allergy, or if you are pregnant or are using other drugs, you should inform the doctor first. In addition, any drug may cause allergies, even preservatives in over-the-counter eye drops can cause allergies. Probably, if there is itching, swelling or flushing around the eyes, stop using and see a doctor.
3. Children try not to use chloramphenicol eye drops, poor metabolism of children, hematopoietic function is not perfect, poor tolerance to chloramphenicol toxicity, even if the concentration is not high chloramphenicol eye drops, but also cause the risk of poisoning.